Sunday, January 29, 2006

Utter Frustration

After playing for hours a day, and watching for hours a day, reading about bridge every day, and dreaming of bridge at night, I'm still aspiring to be bad at the game some day. I truly doubt my intelligence and wonder if this is a form of masochism. Perhaps I'm just not smart enough for this game. But I still want to play.

On the other hand, I think maybe this is a natural stop on the learning train. I'm clearly not a bridge prodigy. So, maybe I just need to work harder.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you need to be a prodigy to be great at something. Talent is much less important than a willingness to work. It was a hard lesson for me to learn. My sister often struggled with math and science while I did them with ease. I didn't have to work at it, so I never did. While I may have had more potential, she's actually been very successful. In the end, I would rather be someone motivated to succeed than someone who gets it easy but doesn't care.

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would be a lie to say that talent is not important at all, but Primus is absolutely right that hard work is far more important. But bridge is an awfully hard game. In the beginning you learn and improve very quickly, and then the slope gets steeper and steeper. Even the best players make mistakes and learn, how can you expect to be done learning, and would that be fun?

Try to recognize the small improvements that you make. Auctions that you understand that you couldn't a couple of weeks ago. A hand you didn't play in a way you never would have thought of before. Things that start to make sense in a way that you weren't thinking of last month. I'm sure that you will see many things like that. Bridge is a very hard game, don't expect to master it ever, but enjoy the things you do right.

Han

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter free hit unique web
View My Stats